Disney are continuing what has been a highly profitable run of filming live action versions of their animated hits with the recent version of The Jungle Book being their most successful to date making $966m. Next on their list is Dumbo which Tim Burton is directing and has just started filming in Pinewood studios.
Here’s what we know so far……
- The film will star Golden Globe® winner Colin Farrell (“In Bruges,” “The Lobster”), Golden Globe winner Michael Keaton (“Birdman,” “Beetlejuice”), Emmy® and Golden Globe winner Danny DeVito (“Batman Returns,” “Big Fish”), BAFTA Award winner and Golden Globe nominee Eva Green (“Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children,” “Dark Shadows”), and introduces Nico Parker and Finley Hobbins in their first film roles. The cast also includes Roshan Seth, DeObia Oparei, Sharon Rooney and Douglas Reith. Katterli Frauenfelder (“Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children,” “Big Eyes”), Derek Frey (“Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children,” “Frankenweenie”),
- Will Smith is no longer appearing but is instead now appearing as the genie in their live action version of Aladdin.
- The story introduces Holt Farrier (Farrell), a former circus star who finds his life turned upside down when he returns from the war. Circus owner Max Medici (DeVito) enlists Holt to care for a newborn elephant whose oversized ears make him a laughing stock in an already struggling circus. But when Holt’s children (Parker and Hobbins) discover that Dumbo can fly, persuasive entrepreneur V.A. Vandevere (Keaton) and an aerial artist named Colette Marchant (Green) swoop in to make the peculiar pachyderm a star.
- The creative team includes cinematographer Ben Davis, BSC (“Doctor Strange,” “Guardians of the Galaxy”), Oscar® winning production designer Rick Heinrichs (“Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” “Dark Shadows”), four-time Oscar®-winning costume designer Colleen Atwood (“Alice in Wonderland,” “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”), editor Chris Lebenzon, ACE (“Alice in Wonderland,” “Maleficent”) and BAFTA Award-winning make-up designer Paul Gooch (“Alice in Wonderland,” “Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children”).
- Utilizing state-of-the-art visual effects to portray Dumbo and many of his four-legged counterparts, Dumbo will be filmed entirely in England, both at Pinewood Studios and Cardington Studios.
- Chris Pine was offered a role but turned it down.
- Tim Burton is directing
- DUMBO IS SLATED FOR RELEASE IN MARCH, 2019
- ….um…..it”s called Dumbo.
- …..its about a baby elephant with big ears (‘You’re fired!’ – Ed)…..
The original animated film opened Oct. 23, 1941, and won an Oscar® for best scoring of a musical picture and was nominated for best original song for “Baby Mine.” which is a fantastically moving scene and always gets the Editor crying. (‘Rubbish. I had something in my eye!‘- Ed). Gets us too. Every.Single Time.
Here’s the scene…….