With Disney turning their animated classics in to live action films writer / director Mel Brooks (who’s 92 years old!)has been turning his comedies into hit stage musicals of which The Producers was an enormous success when he adapted it for Broadway in 2001 with Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick starring. The Producers stage show went on to win 12 Tony Awards.
But the film of The Producers was where it all started for Brooks where Max Bialystock (Zero Mostel) is a washed up Broadway producer forced to romance old ladies to finance his plays. When timid accountant Leo Bloom (the late Gene Wilder) is brought in to do his books, he inadvertently reveals to Bialystock that under the right circumstances, a producer could make more money with a flop than a hit. Bialystock cajoles Bloom into helping him achieve this end and together they come up with what they consider to be a sure-fire disaster waiting to happen – a musical version of Adolf and Eva’s love story entitled ‘Springtime For Hitler’. But is it possible that they might actually have the most unlikely hit of all time on their hands?
Having spent years writing for TV comedy shows The Producers would be Mel Brooks first feature film (and he would win an Oscar for its screenplay) and was a hit memorable for its ’Springtime for Hitler’ song and dance number and laid the ground for his hit comedies in the seventies Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Silent Movie & High Anxiety each taking swipes at the western, black & white horror films, silent films and Hitchcock respectively.
It’s hard to believe that The Producers is now 50 years old and has been given a 4K restoration make over so to celebrate its release you can win a copy here and all you have to do is just answer the following question……
Which of these Mel Brooks films did Gene Wilder NOT star in?
a) Blazing Saddles
b) Young Frankenstein
c) High Anxiety
- FOLLOW AnyGoodFilms facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/AnyGoodFilms/
- SHARE the link
- Send your answer with your name & address to:email@example.com
*******COMPETITION CLOSES AT 23:59HRS ON 23RD SEPTEMBER 2018*******
Following condition apply:
- Entrants must be residents in the UK.
- There is no cash alternative to the prize stated. The prize is not transferable and no part or parts of the prize may be substituted by the winner for other benefits, items or additions.
- Winners will be picked by the site.
- Winners name, e-mail address and address will be passed to a third party provider for contact and prize delivery.
Here’s the trailer for The Producers…….