So with the new trailer for Joaquin Phoenix Joker upon us we have a glimpse of what to expect and its looks good….very good. Here’s what we know so far.
- The original, standalone story follows Arthur Fleck (Phoenix), a man disregarded by society in a gritty character study and broader cautionary tale. Director Todd Phillips has said, ‘“when you set out to make an origin story about a beloved character that basically has no definitive origin.”
- Phillips has gone on to describe the film as a, ‘tragedy’.
- Thos who have sen a rough cut of the film compare it to to Martin Scorsese’s “Taxi Driver,” Lynne Ramsey’s “You Were Never Really Here” and Nicole Kassell’s “The Woodsman”m which starred Kevin Bacon as a child molester returning to his hometown after 12 years in prison in an attempt to start a new life.
- Compared to other comic book films this is modestly budgeted at only $55m
- The film shot for three months and finished shooting on 19th December 2018.
- Robert De Niro is rumoured to be playing a ‘shock jock’.
- The film was re-written throughout production, even on the same day as some scenes, due to the physical changes Joaquin Phoenix Joker did for the role which prevented reshoots at a later date.
- These physical changes included large amount of weight loss for Joaquin Phoenix Joker as glimpsed in the trailer.
- It’s a standalone film and is not thought to feature any other superheroes or villains.
- There’s thought to be a scene where Bruce Wayne’s father gets a beating from Joaquin Phoenix Joker and others too dressed as clowns.
Joaquin Phoenix Joker will open on October 4th in the UK and US.
Here’s the first trailer…….