We’ve had no end of films about priests and the church but the number of films featuring the Jewish faith are few and far between and this week’s new release gives an insight into the religion that we’ve not seen before.
Starring Stephen Graham as Benjamin, who was horrendously bullied as a boy for his faith and went against his father’s wishes by taking up boxing as a means of self defence. Ultimately it’s a sport that alienates him from his father, the Jewish community and its leaders.
Now, as an adult and having inherited his father’s butchers shop which is on its last legs he supports his family by bare knuckle boxing which the slimily sinister friend Shannon (the ever good Michael Smiley) facilitates knowing that Ben’s financial situation gives him little choice until one day it lands Ben in jail.
Four years later Ben is released and despite wanting to start afresh and provide for his family he finds his criminal past drags him back again with his religious leaders not being all they seem to be.
Written and directed by first time feature film director David Leon this leans heavily on the Jewish faith and is sincere in its intention and is well cast with Stephen Graham, Michael Smiley & Christopher Fairbank uniformly great in pivotal roles.
To win a copy of the film just answer the following question:
Stephen Graham played an unscrupulous bare knuckle boxing promoter in which Guy Ritchie film?
b)The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
To enter just:
- ‘LIKE the AnyGoodFilms? Facebook page
- ‘SHARE’ the link
- Email your answer with your name & address to: firstname.lastname@example.org
**********CLOSING DATE : 23:59hrs on 23rd May 2016 **************
Following condition apply:
- Entrants must be residents in the UK.
- There is no cash alternative to the prize stated. The prize is not transferable and no part or parts of the prize may be substituted by the winner for other benefits, items or additions.
- Winners will be picked by the site.
- Winners name, e-mail address and address will be passed to a third party provider for contact and prize delivery.
Here’s the trailer: