Director David Robert Mitchell’s output as been occasional with only four films since 2002 but It Follows, only his second film has been his best to date. A low key horror thriller with a clever subtext that gave the film far more depth than usually expected in the genre.
Care-free high school student Jay Height (Maika Monroe – Independence Day: Resurgence) has just started dating a ‘nice’ guy – Hugh (Jake Weary – Zombeavers), but they have sex, everything changes and life will never be the same again… When she wakes up, she’s tied up in a deserted parking lot, where Hugh reveals his dark and disturbing secret… he’s passed on something unimaginable… a deadly curse that will see her relentlessly pursued by evil… A shape-shifting force It follows its victims and will stop at nothing to kill them. The only way to escape, is to pass it on to another person through sex…
It’s a dating horror nightmare one tha tperhasp people might be only too familiar with notably many of our editors ex girl friends who went through similar except here it wasn’t dealt with by way of exorcism as such but rather a heavy dose of antibiotics (‘You’re fired! – Ed).
The brand-new Limited Edition is set for release on 11th September 2023 is presented in a stunning box with new artwork by Thinh Dinh alongside a 150 page book, with new essays. There will also be Standard Editions in 4K/UHD and Blu-ray, and all versions come complete with a host of fantastic extras, please see full details below.
- Dual format edition including both UHD and Blu-ray with main feature and bonus features on both discs
- Second Sight Films 4K master produced in conjunction with the original post production facility
- Approved by director David Robert Mitchell
- UHD presented in Dolby Vision HDR
- New Dolby Atmos audio track produced by Second Sight Films
- New audio commentary by Joshua Grimm
- Audio commentary by Danny Leigh and Mark Jancovich
- Chasing Ghosts: a new interview with actor Keir Gilchrist
- Following: a new interview with actor Olivia Luccardi
- It’s in the House: an interview with Producer
- Composing a Masterpiece: an interview with composer Rich Vreeland
- A Girl’s World: an interview with production designer Michael Perry
- It Follows – The Architecture of Loneliness: a video essay by Joseph Wallace
It’s an extensive set of interviews, (although the obvious absence is Mitchell and Monroe) all of which are engaging and give an insight into how the film came into being with producer David Kaplan whose back ground in film finance saw him being approached about getting the film made. It’s as much a thriller as it is a horror film without the expected gore and has a number of unnerving scenes as what follows seems to be an unstoppable almost terminator like determination that makes for tense viewing experience.
As the lead Maika Monroe gained recognition in the Guest opposite Dan Stevens and her star was on the rise and was cast in the role based on an audition tape for another project. It Follows had, like most films gone through a number of changes most notably its ending which had originally involved sinkholes but budgetary constraints saw it changed to a scene which according to actor Keir Gilchrist was a logistically problematic but works well.
It Follows low budget didn’t stop the film from being picked up for US distribution by Harvey Weinstein’s brother Bob where it had a wide release on 1600 screens and did good business earning almost $22m worldwide.
Now on Limited Edition 4K UHD/Blu-ray is a different kind of thriller and one that fans who like their horror a bit more cerebral will appreciate.
related feature: ‘The Guest’ – 4K UHD / BLU-RAY review
Here’s the It Follows trailer…….
Limited Edition 4K UHD/Blu-ray Box Set & Standard Editions on 4K UHD & Blu-ray
arrive 11th September 2023